卍 This forum isn't your average Father Grigori's. AGNMI is like your heart. It justs stops beating when you are dead 卐
 
HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
TheNewCity

avatar

Posts : 3020
Location : IN HEEEEEEEELL
Join date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:23 am

That was never cut because the DLC pack containing it hasn't been released.

Let's hope some modder gets the thing working without Sixense.
Back to top Go down
JustBarney

avatar

Posts : 382
Location : Somewhere, Someplace
Join date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:36 am

JustBarney wrote:
How about we STOP FUCKING ARGUING AND ACT LIKE MATURE PEOPLE

How about you shut the fuck up?

We are mature. That's why we're having an intelligent argument instead of yelling and swearing and using large fonts like an idiot... like you.

No offense.[/quote]
You're right, I apologize Sad
Back to top Go down
The Dude
The Sexiest Porn-man Since Ron Jeremy
avatar

Posts : 342
Age : 129
Location : Matrix
Join date : 2009-09-28

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:22 am

TheNewCity wrote:

You need to stop treating every marginal resemblance as proof that Valve is the big, bad, scary monster, ripping shitty kids' shows and independent comedy films off.

Sounds like you need to follow your own advice when it comes to acting mature. On another part of Portal 2, let's take a look at the technological aspect of Portal 2.

The gels were the only things that were really new, and that isn't much, considering the repulsion gel and faith plates make one and the other redundant.

All other seemingly new things in Portal 2 have already been done or could've already been done. npc_surface is pretty much the only new thing.

The splatters they make? Particle effects. The trail they leave behind? Paint cans. Besides npc_surface every seemingly new aspect of Portal 2 has already been done in one of their previous games.

Not only that, but during the promotional video for the boots, it showed Chell actually moving her hands as she was falling. Valve has yet to do something like that, and they could've implemented it without any strain. They also could've implemented many other things, such as parallax mapping, real-time cube mapping, real-time brush lighting, etc. That's where they fall short more than anything else.
Back to top Go down
http://lemonparty.org
TheNewCity

avatar

Posts : 3020
Location : IN HEEEEEEEELL
Join date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:52 am

The Dude wrote:
Sounds like you need to follow your own advice when it comes to acting mature.

No, perhaps you should follow mine.

The Dude wrote:
On another part of Portal 2, let's take a look at the technological aspect of Portal 2.

The gels were the only things that were really new, and that isn't much, considering the repulsion gel and faith plates make one and the other redundant.

The splatters they make? Particle effects. The trail they leave behind? Paint cans. Besides npc_surface every seemingly new aspect of Portal 2 has already been done in one of their previous games.

So?

I don't get this.

Does every game need to be a technological marvel in order to be good?

No, it does not.

And no one cares.

The new testing elements were innovative and worked very well.

The Dude wrote:
Not only that, but during the promotional video for the boots, it showed Chell actually moving her hands as she was falling. Valve has yet to do something like that, and they could've implemented it without any strain.

It would only ruin the immersion.

There's a reason the only time Valve has ever used body awareness is in the ending fight with Wheatley.

Without any strain? That's amusing, since you have absolutely no idea how much strain that would be.

The Dude wrote:
They also could've implemented many other things, such as parallax mapping, real-time cube mapping, real-time brush lighting, etc.

And?

I don't understand what you're saying here.

They could have implemented many things. They could have included a baby's foreskin with each and every copy. Or a rare mint coin.

Does that mean we get to cry about it?

No.

It's not their duty to spoon-feed you engine features so you can sit around and map all day.

The Dude wrote:
That's where they fall short more than anything else.

No, not really.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
The Sexiest Porn-man Since Ron Jeremy
avatar

Posts : 342
Age : 129
Location : Matrix
Join date : 2009-09-28

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:08 am

TheNewCity wrote:


So?

I don't get this.

Does every game need to be a technological marvel in order to be good?

No, it does not.

And no one cares.

The new testing elements were innovative and worked very well.

I like how you think I'm the only person on the planet that thinks this. Quit being so narow-minded. The new testing elements did work well, but they were certainly not innovative. Past Valve titles, excluding HL2, all offered something that couldn't be implemented without the use of Hammer, so there's a lot more to live up to than your average FPS.



TheNewCity wrote:

It would only ruin the immersion.

There's a reason the only time Valve has ever used body awareness is in the ending fight with Wheatley.

Without any strain? That's amusing, since you have absolutely no idea how much strain that would be.

I doubt that, considering Mirror's Edge did the same thing and worked out great.

What reason is that?

Yes, without any strain, considering they could do similar things in the past. Besides, what do you know about programming?

TheNewCity wrote:


And?

I don't understand what you're saying here.

They could have implemented many things. They could have included a baby's foreskin with each and every copy. Or a rare mint coin.

Does that mean we get to cry about it?

No.

It's not their duty to spoon-feed you engine features so you can sit around and map all day.

If they're going to release their own SDK, it's only expected. Valve isn't your average videogame company, considering the fact that most people would sit on their asses waiting for the new Halo title. For games like these, they're clearly meant for a higher audience, but even they can see where Valve screwed up.

TheNewCity wrote:
No, not really.

Yeah, yeah really.
Back to top Go down
http://lemonparty.org
TheNewCity

avatar

Posts : 3020
Location : IN HEEEEEEEELL
Join date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:36 am

The Dude wrote:
I like how you think I'm the only person on the planet that thinks this.

You may very well be, my friend.

Haha.

The Dude wrote:
Quit being so narow-minded.

You're the only one who's being narrow-minded.

You refuse to respect the game on its merits, instead complaining that it doesn't have some silly little engine feature, or how some character in some silly movie or kids show you barely remember, vaguely resembles some character in the game.

The Dude wrote:
The new testing elements did work well, but they were certainly not innovative.

Sure they were. They significantly change up the gameplay. I don't think we've seen any of them before, apart from the gels, but even they have been largely redesigned and overhauled.

The Dude wrote:
Past Valve titles, excluding HL2, all offered something that couldn't be implemented without the use of Hammer, so there's a lot more to live up to than your average FPS.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how that matters AT ALL.

You're just grasping at straws here, and it's sad.

The Dude wrote:
I doubt that, considering Mirror's Edge did the same thing and worked out great.

No, don't compare it to Mirror's Edge.

The two games are fundamentally different. Mirror's Edge does not rely on immersion either.

The Dude wrote:
What reason is that?

Immersion, dear Watson.

The reason they kept Chell as the main protagonist, allowing the relation between the player and GLaDOS to be brought over, and, by extension, maintaining immersion.

The reason Chell never speaks.

The moment you see those little hands squirming about, immersion is instantly broken.

This is why Valve shouldn't have used them, and should have not implemented some stupid "see your hands while you're falling" feature for no apparent reason.

The Dude wrote:
Yes, without any strain, considering they could do similar things in the past. Besides, what do you know about programming?

No, I don't think it would be as easy as "similar things".

What do YOU know about programming? You're the one going around saying that it's easy.

The Dude wrote:
If they're going to release their own SDK, it's only expected.

No, it isn't.

A new SDK has nothing to do with a bunch of silly little engine features.

The Dude wrote:
For games like these, they're clearly meant for a higher audience, but even they can see where Valve screwed up.

No, they don't, because the higher audience doesn't bitch about engine features that could have been thrown in at the last moment just for the sake of having them in. They respect the game on its own merits.

I have not seen one other person crying about how the game doesn't have parallax mapping or whatever you wanted in the game.

These features would add NOTHING to the gameplay.

Do you understand that?

Zero. Nada. Nihil.

Therefore, there is no reason to have them here.

The Dude wrote:
TheNewCity wrote:
No, not really.

Yeah, yeah really.

No, they didn't.

A bunch of silly engine features have no place in a game that focuses on gameplay first and foremost.

Or are you too superficial to care about the gameplay?

Is the engine all you care about?

Pretty sad.
Back to top Go down
Emild00d
Internet Fungus
avatar

Posts : 613
Location : Not here
Join date : 2010-07-27

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:00 am

COMMERCIAL-BREAK.
-----------
-----------
Ok, move on.
Back to top Go down
JustBarney

avatar

Posts : 382
Location : Somewhere, Someplace
Join date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:45 am

It seems that TNC is winning this argument
Back to top Go down
someone3333
Lieutenant Dick Sponge
avatar

Posts : 1015
Join date : 2009-10-17

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:07 am

Indeed.
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor Doomlord
Inquisitor of the Ordo Malleus
avatar

Posts : 4068
Age : 25
Location : On the battlefield.
Join date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:21 am

in the end we all have our own opinions though lol

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Felgerian
TheFurryCleric
AGNMI Furry
avatar

Posts : 2162
Location : At the HQ of the operation.
Join date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:54 am

Inquisitor Doomlord wrote:
in the end we all have our own opinions though lol

Salute

_________________
Back to top Go down
The Dude
The Sexiest Porn-man Since Ron Jeremy
avatar

Posts : 342
Age : 129
Location : Matrix
Join date : 2009-09-28

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:03 pm

TheNewCity wrote:

You may very well be, my friend.

Haha.

You're the only one who's being narrow-minded.

You refuse to respect the game on its merits, instead complaining that it doesn't have some silly little engine feature, or how some character in some silly movie or kids show you barely remember, vaguely resembles some character in the game..

If that's the case, then you need to look a bit harder.

Sorry I don't suck off to games the same you do. Criticism in general helps to improve future titles, to know what could be done in the future.

TheNewCity wrote:
Sure they were. They significantly change up the gameplay. I don't think we've seen any of them before, apart from the gels, but even they have been largely redesigned and overhauled.

They could've been implemented before easily, that's the thing, and a lot of it has been seen before. It seems like you forgot that HL2: Episode 1 even exists, and it definitely was not redesigned or overhauled, considering it looks pretty much the same. Those excursion tunnels were also seen before in HL2, they just made it smaller. It's still the same thing.

TheNewCity wrote:

I'm sorry, but I don't see how that matters AT ALL.

You're just grasping at straws here, and it's sad.

It matters because Source is falling behind in favor of other engines, and Valve isn't using it to the same extent that others are. Take a look at BMS, OF2, even Dear Esther. They're becoming more like your average videogame company, their difference is what made them so appealing in the first place, and it's fading pretty quickly.

TheNewCity wrote:


The moment you see those little hands squirming about, immersion is instantly broken.

Oh yeah, because seeing Gordon's hands holding an MP7 completely ruined the game.
TheNewCity wrote:

No, I don't think it would be as easy as "similar things".

What do YOU know about programming? You're the one going around saying that it's easy.

Not a lot, but considering they were able to make Face Poser, lots of new entities, more interesting gameplay in TF2, better hardware support, particle effects, and probably a whole sleuth of other things, they're clearly capable of adding something like that.

TheNewCity wrote:

No, it isn't.

A new SDK has nothing to do with a bunch of silly little engine features.

Yes it does, considering the fact that they released an SDK for their engine, it's only expected that users get access to those new features. Not only that, but they could have an even bigger audience had they implemented new features.
Back to top Go down
http://lemonparty.org
JustBarney

avatar

Posts : 382
Location : Somewhere, Someplace
Join date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:11 pm

Inquisitor Doomlord wrote:
in the end we all have our own opinions though lol
I agree.
Back to top Go down
Crash15

avatar

Posts : 474
Location : Slicing Bagels.
Join date : 2010-02-24

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:06 pm

Hey guys, near the end of co-op, there's spike plates that go off automatically like the videos. BUT, there's only 3 of them.
Back to top Go down
someone3333
Lieutenant Dick Sponge
avatar

Posts : 1015
Join date : 2009-10-17

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:52 pm

When the SDK comes out, Most of these might be taken care of. *Hint Hint*
Back to top Go down
TheNewCity

avatar

Posts : 3020
Location : IN HEEEEEEEELL
Join date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:09 pm

The Dude wrote:
If that's the case, then you need to look a bit harder.

Sorry I don't suck off to games the same you do. Criticism in general helps to improve future titles, to know what could be done in the future.

Look harder? No, I do not.

Sorry I don't mindlessly hate on games the same you do.

No, there's a difference between criticism and what YOU are doing. You're bitching about how the game doesn't have some gay engine features.

That's not criticizing. That's crying because you didn't get the Christmas gift you wanted.

The Dude wrote:
They could've been implemented before easily, that's the thing, and a lot of it has been seen before. It seems like you forgot that HL2: Episode 1 even exists, and it definitely was not redesigned or overhauled, considering it looks pretty much the same. Those excursion tunnels were also seen before in HL2, they just made it smaller. It's still the same thing.

Implemented easily? There you go again with your faux-programming knowledge.

Looks pretty much the same? Did you replace your textures just for the sake of this argument, Dude? Do not be silly. Portal 2 looks nothing like Episode One, and I have no idea what EP1 has to do with this argument.

Excursion tunnels? In HL2? Oh, funny!

What are you going to tell me now? That Super Mario had quick-saving?

The Dude wrote:
It matters because Source is falling behind in favor of other engines, and Valve isn't using it to the same extent that others are. Take a look at BMS, OF2, even Dear Esther. They're becoming more like your average videogame company, their difference is what made them so appealing in the first place, and it's fading pretty quickly.

No, they're using it pretty fine.

Leave the engine overhauls for another game. Portal 2 looks excellent.

Falling behind in favor of other engines? And what does that have to do with the game? I don't care about the engine falling behind NOW. I'm not some graphics whore. Valve will add new features when the time is right.

BMS and OF2 offer almost nothing out of the ordinary. BMS has that interesting facemaker system, but I'm sure Valve has already thought that up for the next major Half-Life game. The latter, by the way, is a terrible mod, in my opinion, at least and I have no idea why you are bringing it up.

Their difference? No, seems to me like you only see a difference when Valve pumps new engine shit in the SDK. Then you love Valve again. Then you'll support them. Just so long as you get your OH SO precious "real time cube mapping". Then you'll love their games. Ain't I right?

You forget that Valve cares little for eye candy. They want as many people to play their game as possible. I've seen people running the game on a 6150 GeForce. Isn't that a testament to how great the game looks, and how many machines it can run on?

Let's not forget the consoles. They deserve to play too. I don't care if you want your eye candy; these people played Portal, and they deserve to play the sequel. It's selfish to demand "mega-super texture cube ultra mapping", or whatever the fuck you call it, just YOU can enjoy the game, and others acn't.

The Dude wrote:
Oh yeah, because seeing Gordon's hands holding an MP7 completely ruined the game

Don't be childish, Dude.

Two hands holding a weapon statically has nothing to do with seeing a bunch of squirming hands moving of their own free will.

The Dude wrote:
Not a lot

There we go.

The Dude wrote:
but considering they were able to make Face Poser, lots of new entities, more interesting gameplay in TF2, better hardware support, particle effects, and probably a whole sleuth of other things, they're clearly capable of adding something like that.

What does "more interesting gameplay in TF2" have to do with you ranting about inane engine features? You don't even own the game.

They clearly had the time to implement more interesting gameplay in Portal 2, yet I don't see you mentioning that in your little list.

As for the rest, that was years ago. You need to accept that Valve has things to do, and their SDK and engine projects are just going to have to take the backseat and stay a bit longer in development.

But you are so impatient, that you want them NOW. Just so Portal 2 looks good, and you get your beloved SDK features.

The Dude wrote:
Yes it does, considering the fact that they released an SDK for their engine, it's only expected that users get access to those new features. Not only that, but they could have an even bigger audience had they implemented new features.

Your argument still makes no sense.

These features were never promised, nor mentioned.

They have nothing to do with whatever new SDK Valve will release, and they have NOTHING to do with Portal 2.

You just want more eye candy.

Otherwise, the game sucks.

--------------------------------

Now, let's go beyond replying to certain excerpts. Let's analyze your entire argument.

The problem here, Dude, is that in your attempt to desperately prove that Portal 2 is a bad game and Valve is a bad company, and just how cool you are by hating on Valve (presumably), you have utterly derailed the subject of this thread. This isn't about some features that will probably appear in a future Source iteration. It's about the game.

It was bad when you started telling me nonsense about the robots coming from Johnny Proton or whatever the fuck that show was called, and JK Simmons ripping off some random guy from Idiocracy.

Now it's even worse.

Inquisitor Doomlord wrote:
in the end we all have our own opinions though lol

Oh, of course.

But if you care for your opinion so much, then keep it to yourself. This is a public forum, after all.

No need to tout it around on an online forum, especially if you disrespect others' opinions by saying "PORTAL 2 IS DEFINITELY NOT GOTY".

I can argue with you about it all I want if you don't keep it to yourself, if you are not objective, reasonable and if you don't accept that others have opinions too.

Spamming "I have my own opinion" seems more like an attempt to disregard all rationale and argumentation, essentially pussying out of the argument YOU entered yourself.

By the way, it's a logical fallacy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_entitled_to_my_opinion


Last edited by TheNewCity on Sun May 01, 2011 9:13 am; edited 12 times in total
Back to top Go down
Emild00d
Internet Fungus
avatar

Posts : 613
Location : Not here
Join date : 2010-07-27

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:12 pm

JustBarney wrote:
Inquisitor Doomlord wrote:
in the end we all have our own opinions though lol
I agree.


Double-agreed.
Back to top Go down
TheNewCity

avatar

Posts : 3020
Location : IN HEEEEEEEELL
Join date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sun May 01, 2011 8:57 am

Who locked this?

Dude has a right to respond.
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor Doomlord
Inquisitor of the Ordo Malleus
avatar

Posts : 4068
Age : 25
Location : On the battlefield.
Join date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sun May 01, 2011 9:17 am

josh aint here Stolen from Love Tub

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Felgerian
TheNewCity

avatar

Posts : 3020
Location : IN HEEEEEEEELL
Join date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Sun May 01, 2011 9:19 am

It wasn't locked just now. It was locked a while ago.
Back to top Go down
TheNewCity

avatar

Posts : 3020
Location : IN HEEEEEEEELL
Join date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Mon May 02, 2011 1:22 am

The Dude has decided to pretend this thread isn't here.

Strange decision.

Thread locked.
Back to top Go down
TheFurryCleric
AGNMI Furry
avatar

Posts : 2162
Location : At the HQ of the operation.
Join date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   Mon May 02, 2011 10:22 am

TheNewCity wrote:
The Dude has decided to pretend this thread isn't here.

Strange decision.

Thread locked.

Apperently your RETARDATION scared him away.... Finally got a 1 weeks rage out.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: *NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?   

Back to top Go down
 
*NOW OFFICIAL LOCKED THREAD FOR TNC AND DOOM'S ARGUMENT* Portal 2 E3 Checklist - Whats left?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
 Similar topics
-
» The Official Insomniac Thread
» Conan Exiles - Official Discussion Thread
» Ranting. The angry man's poetry. (My official rant thread.)
» The Dark Knight Rises (2012) Official Movie Thread
» Marvel Legends Wave 3 Official trade thread

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
卍 Anti Gabe'N'Missing Information 卐 :: Wasteland-
Jump to: